How has living in or around Atlanta influenced the way you see your community, culture, or identity? If you were speaking to someone unfamiliar with Atlanta, what would you want them to understand about your community?
Prompt Response: Living around Atlanta has drastically influenced the way that I view my community, culture, and identity. The people of Atlanta are extremely diverse and come from all sorts of backgrounds. Growing up in a place with so much diversity has led me to become curious about other people's cultures, religions, and traditions. In places which lack diversity many people shy away from learning about people and places that are different from them. But growing up in a community which accepts all kinds of people has grown my knowledge and acceptance of others. Not only this but it has made me view myself differently. Whenever I would visit my grandparents in a small town in Florida, I would be treated differently from others. People would tell me things that were hurtful, like "go back to your country" and these comments changed my view on my identity. But when I would return to Atlanta and see people who looked like me, it made me accept who I am. I am a strong believer that if I didn't grow up in Atlanta I would struggle with my own cultural identity much more. But being in a place which has so many different types of people and accepts people no matter their background has made me have self-acceptance as well.
Summary: Today in class we used SPACECAT and rhetorical devices while listening to a speech by Keisha Lance Bottoms.
Reflection: I learned more about rhetorical devices and how to identify them in speeches. I also learned how to define context from exigence and what their differences are.
Comments
Post a Comment